The 2020 Lunar New Year Update is the 38th update of Asphalt 8: Airborne.
The following text was published on the Gameloft forum:
Celebrate the Lunar New Year with Special Edition red-and-gold cars, a ton of rewarding events and a Lunar New Year-themed limited-time track!
PARTY IN PATAGONIA
Patagonia has been re-skinned in honor of the Lunar New Year! Find this special version of the track for a limited time in the Events section!
LUNAR NEW YEAR COLLECTION
You can finally get your hands on the previously released Lunar New Year car designs, including the Mercedes-Benz SLK 55 AMG Special Edition, Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition and the TVR Sagaris Special Edition!
Play in the Lunar New Year event to win the Special Edition of the Infiniti Project Black S and finally complete your collection of Lunar New Year cars!
NEW WAY OF OBTAINING KIT CARDS
This new feature will allow you to collect Kit cards from previously released Festival cars like the Terzo Millenio! Coming soon after the Lunar New Year Festival is over!!
NEW SHOP SECTION
The "Get Boxes" section has been replaced with "Bundles", a new tab full of promotions, hot deals and free offers!
- Class D
- Class A
- Infiniti Project Black S Special Edition (Festival)
- Class S
- McLaren Senna (Festival)
The new cars will need the following engine cards:
- i4 Engine
- KTM X-Bow GT4 (x40)
- Car-Specific Kit Cards
- Infiniti Project Black S Special Edition (x220)
- Ferrari SF90 Stradale (x220)
- McLaren Senna (x220)
- Pro upgrades for some vehicles now require different amounts of Tech cards for Drivetrain than for other sections (maybe the same with Nitro for Nitro-focused vehicles). For example, the Ford GT (2017) now requires 7x Mid-Tech and 18x Advanced Tech for Drivetrain, but 7x Early/Initial Tech, 11x Mid-Tech and 7x Advanced Tech for all other sections.
- The "Get Boxes" menu in the Shop has been replaced with a new "Bundles" menu that consists of four Daily Bundles—Free, Beginner, Master and Champion—with the latter three costing real money to purchase. Unlike the Daily Kit Box, where the timer was only reset when it was claimed, the Free Daily Bundle's timer counts down to 0:00 UTC.
- Pro Kit Boxes:
- Due to the replacement of the "Get Boxes" section, the Daily Kit Box † and the Super Fusion Box † are no longer obtainable.
- As a further consequence, all purchasable boxes cannot be bought with in-game currency any longer, for example Champion Kit Box, Black Friday Kit Box, Limited-Edition Mid-Tech etc. Some of them can still be earned as rewards in Mastery or other sections of the game.
- While this can be seen as one aspect of Gameloft's annnounced intention to move away from the Pro Kit system, it is most probably also a reaction to the changed legislation on simulated gambling in many countries of the world. For example, China requires the publication of complete sample spaces with drop rates for every single item since 2017. Direct offers of Pro Kit Boxes for real money would be prohibited by law in Belgium since 2018.
- A Festival Special simulating a wheel of fortune has been added after the Infiniti Project Black S Special Edition Festival. This is the first random process in Asphalt 8 to to provide all possible rewards together with their drop rates.
- Fusion Coin Pass Subscriptions have been added.
- New app icon of an Infiniti Project Black S Special Edition.
- New loading screen of an Infiniti Project Black S Special Edition in Patagonia with Lunar New Year decorations.
- New icon type for the Festival Coin Pack which approaches the design of Card Packs in Asphalt 9: Legends.
- New "Nitro Pickup" sign on the HUD to let the player know that a nitro bottle has just been picked up.
- There is also a medal relating to nitro bottles picked up in a race.
- Lunar New Year versions of Crystal Lake and Avalanche Alley, called Snowy Spring Festival, were added with modified routes and are only accessible during certain Time-Limited Events.
- February 5-8, 2020
- February 10-14, 2020
- New Year Festival January 23, 2020
- Pininfarina H2 Speed R&D February 1, 2020
- McLaren Senna Festival February 8, 2020
- Starting Line Multiplayer Season 2 February 10, 2020
- Ford GT 2017 R&D February 13, 2020
- Nissan 370Z Special Edition R&D
- Pro kit issues: On Windows, the following issues were encountered with regards to Pro Kits. All of these were fixed 3-5 days after the update was released.
- Selling a pro kit part for causes the game to crash.
- The Cards inventory does not update when an entire stack of Common- or Rare-rarity pro kits is sold for .
- The game now shows a "We are trying to connect to the server." message whenever a pro kit part is sold for regardless of the server's actual status.
- Applying any pro kit upgrade causes the game to crash.
- Bogus prices: On iOS and Android, the Audi R8 e-tron Special Edition and TVR Sagaris Special Edition appear as costing 99,999 and 300,000, with grayed-out "buy now" buttons in the Tag Race vehicle selection screen during the New Year Festival.
- ↑ https://forum.gameloft.com/viewtopic.php?f=1505&t=695053
- ↑ McAloon, Alissa (2016-12-08). Online games will be required to disclose random loot box odds in China. Gamasutra. Retrieved on 2020-02-04.
- ↑ Gerken, Tom (2018-04-26). Video game loot boxes declared illegal under Belgium gambling laws. BBC. Retrieved on 2020-02-04.