Gate Drift is a race type that appears in Asphalt 8: Airborne and Asphalt Nitro. It is represented by the silhouette of a Ferrari 458 Italia drifting. It replaces the Drift race mode of Asphalt 6: Adrenaline and Asphalt 7: Heat.
It is not present in Asphalt Xtreme possibly due to limitations surrounding the new drifting type used by that game.
Gate Drift involves the player drifting through blue gates on the track to score points. The number of points scored is 100 for the first gate, and an additional 100 for every successive gate drifted through; with this, successfully drifting through a series of five gates awards 1,500 points (100+200+300+400+500). This is derived from the equation for the triangular number. Gates turn green when successfully drifted through and red when the player fails to drift through them. All gates reset to blue once the player makes another lap around the track. There are three target scores to beat, and the second place score is usually placed evenly between the first and third place scores, although Research & Development and Enduro Double Down may show different intervals instead. The target scores in Quick Solo Race are always 5,000 for 3rd place, 10,000 for 2nd place, and 15,000 for 1st place.
Cars with excellent all-round stats, especially on top speed and drifting capabilities (e.g. W Motors Fenyr Supersport, BMW 3.0 CSL Hommage, etc.), tend to perform the best in Gate Drift. Cars with either poor drifting capabilities or poor top speed stats like the Mercedes-Benz Biome, Ford F-150, and Renault DeZir don't perform as well.
There are no opponents to worry about. Instead, a time limit is present and is usually 3 minutes (the highest amount of time).
These tracks are not playable in Gate Drift:
- Nevada Reverse
- Iceland Reverse
- Tokyo Reverse
- Fr. Guiana Rev.
- Westminster Bridge and The London Eye
- Barcelona Reverse
- Alps Reverse
- Venice Reverse
- Azure Coast Reverse
- The Great Wall, Great Wall Rev., Buddha's Teachings, and Wall Ascent
- Dubai, The Rose of the Desert, and The Mirage
- San Diego Harbor Rev.
- Sector 8 and Sector 8 Reverse
- Dragon Tree, Mount Teide, and Cloud Nine
- Test Site: Omega and Route 375-1
- Oceanview Derby and Highland View
- Crystal Lake, Avalanche Alley, and The River Fort
Note that in Asphalt Nitro, all tracks can be selected except for the Water Barrier and Sleeping Wings tracks.
Not all of the Gate Drift-accessible tracks appear in Career Mode. The tracks that are selectable in Gate Drift in Quick Solo Race yet do not appear in Career Mode appear in Research & Development and Enduro Double Down.
Winning + Stars
One star is attained for beating the lowest target score (3rd). Two stars are attained for beating the mid target score (2nd). Three stars are attained for beating the highest target score (1st).
Winning a Gate Drift event for the first time unlocks the Drifting Through Life achievement.
- On some tracks, the gates may remain and some routes may still remain blocked off even after the end of the Gate Drift race. This applies to Monaco (now Azure Coast) and Venice, among others.
- The AI controlling the car after the race may inadvertently crash into the blocked off shortcuts, leading into a wreck most of the time. This is especially true for Area 51. This also happens in Asphalt Nitro, mostly on the Alps.
- Elite Cars will suffer huge condition losses after Gate Drift races, especially if the race lasts 3 minutes. For this reason, it is always recommended to tune up the car before and after each Gate Drift race.
- In the Lunar New Year 2017 Update, there is a bug where Buddha's Teachings will show up when Temple Drive is selected. As a result of the bug and due to the fact that Buddha's Teachings is not selectable for Gate Drift, no gates will show up during a Gate Drift Race in Temple Drive. As of the Car Blueprints Update, this bug has been fixed.
|Race Types in Asphalt 8: Airborne|
|Classic (Unplugged, Flawless, Tag Racing, and Grand Finale) - Versus (Ultimate AI Challenge and Ace Race) - Elimination - Knockdown - Infected - Gate Drift - Time Attack/Auto-start - Showdown|