The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series is a high-performance variant made by Mercedes-Benz of the Mercedes-Benz SL-Class family that appears in the Asphalt series.
The performance version of the SL 65 AMG was unveiled in Monterey in 2008. The turbochargers are 12% larger, and the optimised wastegate ducts permit increased air throughput. Intake air ducting and exhaust system are modified to improve response and reduce the exhaust gas backpressure. The Black Series is 250 kilograms (550 lb) lighter than regular SL 65 AMG by the use of light carbon fibre composites (CFRP) parts and the omission of the SL's normal foldable hardtop roof, replacing it with a fixed roof. Not only did this save weight, it also made room available for the retractable rear spoiler. It is available in coupé body style because the convertible body style is available for the regular SL 65 AMG. The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series in Asphalt 8: Airborne has its rear spoiler down due to game limitations.
The AMG Speedshift Plus five-speed automatic transmission include "C", "S", "M1" and "M2" which has gearshift times 25 percent quicker than the "M1" mode. The Black Series front axle track width is 97 millimetres wider and the rear axle track width 85 millimetres wider over regular model. Other changes include retractable rear spoiler and the rear apron with diffuser fins, 265/35R19 front tyres with 19x9.5 inch AMG light-alloy wheels and AMG 20x11.5-inch light-alloy wheels with 325/30R20 tyres (Dunlop Sport Maxx GT tyres), 6-piston front calipers with 390x36mm discs and 4-piston calipers with 360x26mm discs.
The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series is a Tier 4 vehicle. It requires 295 stars to unlock and costs 320,000 Cash.
The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series is a low-end Class A car, with a starting rank of 1313, a maximum rank of 1470, and a final rank of 1545 (shared to the starting rank of Koenigsegg Agera R from class S). It is the second weakest Mercedes-Benz vehicle in the game, only stronger than the Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Electric Drive by rank.
The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series is a rather heavy car. As such, it has a poor acceleration and poor handling. However, it has a decent top speed, an improvement over that of the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe Race Car. The SL 65 AMG Black Series has bad nitro power and nitro duration, but not the worst. Overall, the SL 65 AMG Black Series isn't the best Class A car for starters.
The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series originally cost 30,000 Credits to purchase. In later versions of the game, it is priced at 55,000 Credits. The car costs 364,400 Credits to max out.
The Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series qualifies for the following events:
- Race 15 of Season 5 — a Classic event set in the Alps. The racers in this race are actually high-end Class C cars (2 Infiniti FX50s, a Lotus Exige S Roadster, an Audi RS 4 Avant, and an Alfa Romeo 8C Competizione), which is strange, as normally, the racers would either be 5~7 of the same car or other racers of the same class. This is the same for the Aston Martin V12 Zagato.
- Race 15 of Season 6 - a Versus event set in Azure Coast Reverse against a Chevrolet Corvette C7. This car isn't recommended due to having a bad handling and a sluggish acceleration.
- Race 16 of Season 7 — a Gate Drift event set in Tokyo. Only Mercedes-Benz vehicles are allowed to participate.
- Race 27 of Season 7 — a Classic event set in Venice. Only Mercedes-Benz vehicles are allowed to participate. However, the Mercedes-Benz Silver Lightning remains the best choice for this event as it is the only vehicle capable of having a rank higher than the recommended rank of 1553 without Pro Kits.
- Race 32 of Season 9 — a single-lap Classic event set in Venice Reverse. This event requires a maxed out Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG Black Series in order to participate.