A non-player character (NPC) is any character in a game which is not controlled by a player. NPCs in the Asphalt series consist of two types: basic traffic NPCs and racing NPCs with both serving as an obstacle to the player during a race.
Traffic NPCs appear in two types: cars or trucks. Traffic cars are either four-door sedans, SUVs, or limousines. Traffic trucks are either buses, pickup trucks, and semi-trucks. In Area 51 and San Diego Harbor of Asphalt 8, military trucks and armored vehicles will appear as variants of trucks.
In Asphalt 8, traffic NPCs only appear in Carer Mode. In the Paint Job game mode for Asphalt 7: Heat, every time the player collides with a traffic car (even after activating Adrenaline mode), 2 seconds are added to a timer.
Racing NPCs are opponents, capable of moving by themselves as opposed to a predetermined course.
Racing NPS will appear in vehicles that are available to the player and can come in a variety of colors and decals. Although they cannot knock down the player during a race, they can knock down the player's car after a race when it is controlled by the game. Racing NPS can also knock each other down, knock down traffic, and collide with traffic. At the end of a race, the name, vehicle, rank, and position of each racer is shown.
|0 to 100|
|321 -> G0N3||321 → gone|
|D 4 R 3 M 3||Dare me|
|G34Rup_88||Gear up 88|
|~ . G3t R34L . ~||Get real|
|G1mm3_the_$||Give me the $|
|Legend4Life||Legend for life|
|! M1n3 !||Mine|
|noob_play4fun||Noob play for fun|
|not a bot|
|R U OK?||Are you ok?|
|three4me||Three for me|
Asphalt Street Storm Racing does not tell if an opponent in Multiplayer or Champions Clash events is human or an NPC. Identifying NPCs can be advantageous because they usually have a bad reaction time and are easy to beat, even with cars at stock level.
NPCs can be recognized by the properties listed below. Some confirmed NPCs are listed in the table to the right.
- Usernames mostly contain a version of leetspeak where only vowels are replaced with numbers which is very uncommon among real players.
- Usernames also often use underscores instead of spaces although the game allows spaces.
- When a player leaves and re-enters the lobby, the same NPC may appear, but with a different avatar image (often also changing gender).
- NPC usernames never appear in leaderboards.
- All NPCs only bet once per day. Only if the player has lost this first bet, they bet again. After this, every NPC will chicken out.
- NPCs will immediately leave the 4P Race waiting room when a second real player enters.
- NPCs never propose or accept a Pink Slip.
In Asphalt Xtreme, traffic NPCs only appear in Versus races and are always trucks or monster trucks (the two archetypes that can most easily knock down other vehices when controlled by the player). There is only one generic truck and one generic monster truck type; both can appear in different colors.